Irish family activities every exchange student wants to try
Don’t let inclement weather, a low-key weekend around the house or working with a tight budget stop you from creating unforgettable memories with your exchange student. Here is list of ideas to help your family beat boredom.
Here are some ideas:
Games to play
- 20 questions
- Card games
Learn something new
- How to say five important words or phrases in your student’s language
- How to bake bread from scratch
- How to fold origami
Get out of the house
- Go sight-seeing
- Watch and photograph the sunset
- Go stargazing
- Volunteer in the community
Host an event
- Host an international night. Invite friends over, cook foods from your student’s country and show pictures of important places and things they should do if they ever go there.
- Have a movie night and everyone who attends brings an appetiser.
Ideate and create
- Find and bake a new recipe
- Paint, colour or draw
- Make s’mores
- Make a collage of your exchange
Before your student arrives
Preparation is key: how to make sure your family is ready
Add a personal touch to your student's room
How to prepare your exchange student for school
Student & Host family expenses: who pays for what?
8 things you need to know for your student’s upcoming flight
How to start building your relationship before your student arrives
The first days
Making your student feel at home
Using family mealtimes to get to know each other
Rocky start? Try active listening if you're struggling to communicate
Overcoming a language barrier: how you can help
Top tips for supporting your homesick student
Family relationships: helping your student create balance
Life with your student
Who to talk to if you have a question
Participation is important: help your student get involved locally
Overcoming challenges and misunderstandings with your student
Navigating religious differences and expectations
My student is struggling academically: how can I help?
10 ways to get in the Halloween spirit
Find your student now
Are you ready to experience a new culture at home? Talk with us and start your hosting journey now.
Tell us about yourself
Speak to an EF exchange advisor
Choose your exchange student